Friday, April 29, 2016

Wind without a storm warning

It was the middle of the night when I was shaken out of my slumber by a ferocious wind. I'd never heard anything quite like it. One moment all was still and the next violent gusts were pounding my window. At first it sounded like a train, then a twister. I had to remind myself that I was in Northern Pennsylvania, not tornado alley.
The flurry of sudden atmospheric activity didn't last long. As suddenly as the wind was whipped up, it settled and returned to its quiet and calm. The leaves on the trees ceased to flutter and the branches abandoned their roof-top beating. As unexpected as the wind storm came, it left. No tornado. No massive destruction.
In that moment of restored stillness a peace that transcends understanding passed over me. As quickly as the winds came and changed the world outside my window, God can come in and change the course of my life.
Although it has seemed that my life has been at a stand-still forever without much of a future and little promise of an upcoming change in speed or direction, last night's sudden wind storm reminded me that I don't know what God has in store, but when it is time for Him to move in He can do it in an instant. Change with God isn't always gradual. Sometimes it comes at lighting fast speed. Sometiems it comes without warning. God doesn't specialize in "heads up." His area of expertise is more of the "hang on" variety.
I find myself begging God to send a fierce wind into my life and shake things up a bit. Stir me from the slumber of a worn out body. Change the direction of my repeated journeys down dead-end roads that haven't led to health and vitality. I want God to do something aggressive, noteworthy and life-changing. I want a tornado but He hasn't even been sending a stirring of the leaves.
At least, not yet.
Just because God hasn't moved yet doesn't meant it isn't part of His plan. It wasn't until the middle of the night that God pounded on my window with unexpected gale force winds. As long as God infuses my lungs with air and my pumps blood through my veins He isn't done with me quite yet. The night is still young. He has more plans, more wind, just waiting to be revealed at their perfect timing.
I don't know when and I don't know how but I know this much: God can turn on the wind machine of my life in the blink of an eye. And when He does I better be holding on because it is going to be fierce and utterly amazing - and it's coming without a storm warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment