Thursday, September 26, 2013

Turn it on replay

Find what makes your heart sing - then replay that tune.

For me it is a run with songs of praise as my playlist...
It is sitting in a coffee shop with a hot cup of (black) light roast and my computer opened to a clean, blank page...
It is an evening game of scrabble with no pressure of keeping score...
It is a worship song that praises God...
It is a morning walk with Pippy while the world is still quiet and still...
It is a good book curled up in bed in the dark with just my little reading light...
It is scooping out food in the line at the City Mission...
It is talking about my beautiful Savior with a sister in Christ...
It is feeling the strength of God while lifting heavy weights and challenging my body...
It is a walk on the beach at the edge of the shore with the soft sand beneath my feet and cool water rushing around my ankles...
It is listening to a simple acoustic guitar and united voices that are crying out to God in an act of praise and surrender...
It is reading scriptures filled with God's omnipotence and plan for His beloved...
It is walking in the midst of a flourishing garden...
It is preparing fresh, beautiful greens and vegetables to enjoy for a meal...
It is helping my nieces with math homework...
It is finding the perfect gift for someone's birthday...
It is holding the music book for an elderly woman in a nursing home...
It is writing this blog...

Where does your heart sing? What lights a fire within your soul? What brings a smile to your face?
Find those places. Find the places where your heart feels at home. Then keep coming back. Return to that place of ease and peace. You might be facing a world of upheaval and difficulty. Still, there is something or someplace in your life where peace can be found - a place where you feel God's goodness and pleasure. There is still a song that you can't help but sing along with. Even in the midst of your storm you can play that song. You can choose to turn your dial to that station. It is there, God is there, just waiting for you to tune in.
Write down where those places are for you. Is it in a certain workout? It is a genre of music or a particular song? It is a certain scripture? Is it a call to a special person? A ministry to a person in need? Is it a walk in nature or a run on a treadmill?
Write down your place. When you feel that your joy is slipping or that the world is working on your mind, telling it lies and dragging down your spirit, return to that list. Turn back your dial to your favorite life songs. God hasn't stopped playing them. You've just changed the station. Turn back. It is as simple as pressing a different button. Go to your song. Take your walk. Read your passage in the Bible. Pick flowers from your garden.
For me, I'll be going for my walk...to the Starbucks...with my computer...to get a grande blonde roast...while I talk on the phone to my niece who needs algebra help. I'm not just playing a verse or two of a radio hit, I'm tuning into my own personal symphony! The question is are you tuning into yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment