Thursday, September 19, 2013

A girl without a plan

Have you ever known someone who always seemed to know, without a shadow of a doubt, what they would do in life, what their "plan" was and how they would accomplish it? In high school they were the graduates who were headed off to the college they had talked about since freshman year with a declared major that they would never end up changing in their four years of education. These people seem to have it all figured out. They plot out a future. They execute their plan.
I am not said person.
I am the girl with no plan. I am the college student with a rotation of majors. I am the high-schooler with no dream college. I am the part-time worker with no distinct career path. I don't have a five year plan. I don't even have a one year plan.  Heck, I don't even have a one day plan!
And yet, here I am, living a life better than anything I could have ever imagined. It wasn't a plan that got me here - not my plan at least. It was HIS plan.
I have always been a dreamer. Not necessarily a logical planner. I love to come up with fanciful schemes. I am a great one for dreaming up another trip or another business idea. But very few of these "plans" ever come to fruition. Not many even make it past the stage of a mental image.
And yet, God has given birth to dreams that I couldn't even imagine ever coming true. He has given life to dreams that were deep in the recesses of my mind, bringing them into vivid color and making them part of a plan I couldn't have come up with much less executed.
Isn't He beautiful? Aren't His ways extraordinary? You can be a dreamer, lousy at planning logically for a realistic future that is deemed smart and sensible by the world's standards and still have a beautiful journey through life! You don't need a five year plan. You just need God.

As I sit in an airplane bound for Charlotte and then onto Pittsburgh, I am in awe of the road my life has taken. Each turn has felt like a new surprise being revealed. In my mind's eye I never saw all of the events in my life taking shape this way. But God, in all of his limitless knowledge, has had my story plotted out for all of time, before I was ever born or a twinkle in my mother's eye. He knew that I would be on this plane. He knew that I would go through a valley period of isolation and struggle for years as a young adult. He knew all of the details that have been such a shock to me.
The places he has taken me have been nothing short of miraculous. This past weekend was no exception. I ended up at the International Christian Wellness Conference by His grace. I didn't know what to expect when I registered to attend. I didn't know a single soul that would be in attendance. I didn't know how many people would be there, how old, what their backgrounds would be like or what I would learn. I could have never foreseen the amazing weekend that unfolded.
God blessed me from the moment I stepped on the first plane bound for my adventure. He put people in my path that showed me repeated God winks. I had encounters that couldn't be described in any way other than God's divine intervention.
At the conference He gave me the privilege of sharing my story. Even greater, He gave me the opportunity to hear the testimonies of other women. They were an inspiration and encouragement on my journey. I was given the chance to speak to women of faith with years in God's mission field and the fitness field. They showed me love from the very start. I immediately knew I was sharing the weekend with true believers in not just fitness but a deep faith that overwhelms their lives and influences every aspect of their being.
I didn't plan to end up there. God did.
God has plotted out my future for me and is taking me to amazing places. He knows I am not a planner, and thankfully that is A-O-K with Him. He doesn't need my plans. In fact, He laughs at my plans.
He wants my heart. He wants me to be sold out for Him, living in childlike obedience. He wants me to delight in Him so that he can give me the true desires, the dreams, of my heart. He doesn't just want to fulfill a five year plan that I sketched out on notebook paper. He wants to shock and awe! He is in the business of blowing our measly little plans out of the window!
I never thought I'd say that I'm thankful for being a girl without a plan. But instead of trying to hide it, I want to shout it from the rooftop. I don't have a path that I have thought out. I don't have a target date for reaching point A, B or C. I don't have a goal for my income. I don't have a projected career path. I don't have a certain number of kids I want or a certain place that I'm dead set on living. I'm a girl with no plan!
What I am is a girl sold out to God's will for my life. I am convinced that the plan he has is so much better than any I could come up with. And the fun part is that his plan is a surprise. It is like a perpetual Christmas morning. Each day I get to wake up knowing that my duty is to The Lord. If I live in obedience to Him, continually choosing the path that will further his kingdom, then I don't need to worry about the logistics. God already has them under HIS control.


No comments:

Post a Comment