Thursday, August 1, 2013

No such thing as poverty

"Poor me"....
The words are tempting when life seems to be dealing us a rotten hand. The words "fight harder" or "forge ahead" get lost in a whining complaint of self-pity. These two little words - so small, so seemingly simple - can throw us off track and pull our focus away from all things good and beautiful, towards all things negative.
The words "poor me" are really just an easy out... Feel sorry for me.... Indulge me in my complaints.... Give me a reason to be depressed and frustrated.... Let me wallow in self-pity.... Tell me my whining is justified... Because I have a rotten deal.
Poor me.


Is this God's will for his beloved? Does he hand us a deck of cards that is devoid of all the aces? Are we stuck with a bunch of 2's in a game that rewards the man with the highest number?
No. God hasn't short-changed us. He hasn't dealt us a partial deck and he hasn't removed all the good cards or replaced them with others that are less valuable. He gives abundantly and generously to all of his children.

Psalm 34:9-10 "Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no want (no lack) to those who fear Him. The young lions lack and suffer hunger; but those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing." 

God may reveal the cards in a different order then we would like. No two lives, and no two hands of cards, will look the same. But for those who find the saving grace of Jesus Christ and who live in fear and obedience to him, they have treasures stored up in heaven. They have the promise of a blessing ahead that is far greater than anything this world can offer.
For a time we may wonder where all the kings have gone, but they are in the deck. We just haven't flipped them over yet. The order isn't ours to choice. We are given a unique set of circumstances, a unique order of cards, and we are given the abundant opportunity to play them out to the glory and magnification of our King.
There is no poor me in God's game. He has and is blessing his children with such frequency and consistency that there is never any excuse to claim poverty. Be it spiritual, financial, physical or emotional - God is steadfast in his tender care of those he calls his own. For those who live as redeemed, we have nothing but glorious news to share. There is no poor me in God's house.

Each of us will have a hand that looks drastically different from another. That just means we will play the game a bit differently. But the rules are still the same. The principles still stand. The moves just come in a different order, with different strategies and tactics.
So, I will not approach my life lamenting the cards staring back at me. I am a beloved and blessed child of God. Through perseverance he is making me whole and complete, lacking nothing. (James 1:4) I don't need the pathetic cry of "poor me"....because honestly, my hand is quite full.

No comments:

Post a Comment