Saturday, April 21, 2018

Prom Memories


My senior prom dress was fit for a princess. It was my fairy tale dream come to life.
The elegant ball gown was painted in pale pink and sunset hues. From the moment I put it on I knew it was the one. The lace bodice was embellished with sequins and beads stitched in a floral design. Layers of tulle floated elegantly to the floor. Every detail of the dress was perfect. Never before had I felt as beautiful as I did while wearing that breathtaking ballgown.
But the circumstances of my prom night were far from a fairy tale. Disappointments and relationship letdowns had cast a sad shadow on the end of my high school career. I wasn't feeling much like getting dolled up or going to a dance.
But then I recalled the dream dress hanging in the closet. That dress was too gorgeous and too perfect to be left hidden away and unworn. In that moment I had a decision to make. I could choose to stay home and let defeat win the night. Or I could choose to step into that perfect princess dream dress, go to the prom and dance.
I choose to put on the dress and dance... and I've never regretted the decision.

A decade has passed since my senior prom and many of the memories from that night have faded away, but the lesson I learned the moment I stepped into my dress has stayed with me to this day. 
Whether I'm wearing a gorgeous ball gown with matching high heels or I'm caught in stretchy pants with memory foam sneakers, I have the Spirit of the Lord residing in my heart. Heaven's most glorious gown that hung on the cross rose again to defeat death and conquer my every grave.
The love of Christ is heaven's gown too gorgeous and too perfect to be hidden away. United with His victorious life, the garment of His love can be mine to wear in all circumstances and on all occasions. 
The Spirit of the living God compels to wear the dress of His perfect love, go forth in His joy and dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment