Tuesday, March 11, 2014

No such pill

In 2011 doctors wrote four billion drug prescriptions in America. That's right, on average thirteen prescriptions for every man, woman and child. It is safe to say the pharmaceutical industry is big business.
Should we be surprised? Of course not. The average American visits the doctor at least eleven times a year. And why do we often go to the doctor? Strep throat, allergies, headaches, aching joins, that lingering cough… We desperately want relief from our ailments. Just turn on the TV and practically every other commercial will point you straight to the doctor's waiting room, awaiting that precious slip of flimsy paper.
America is a country hooked to meds, clinging to prescriptions and never without that trusty pill carrier case. For all our sickness we believe we have found a cure and it comes in capsule form.
Or does it?
Are all of our illnesses, sicknesses, aches and pains truly cured by a visit to our family physician? Can a piece of paper with illegible script really be the golden ticket to health and wellness?
Our country is all-too comfortable with calling the doctor, waiting in his sitting room, getting poked and prodded and finally paying out a hefty co-pay. Yet we are all-too reluctant to come before God and seek help for our failing souls. When our body has a weakness we want a quick answer to relieve our distress. When our soul is burdened with sin we want to run away and hide from our Master Physician who would do His own poking, prodding and spiritual (not surgical!) removal.
Beloved, I don't want to be more at home surrounded by medical instruments, sitting on an examination table then I am in the presence of God. I don't want to be more comfortable running to a sterile office than to the arms of my Savior. When I have brokenness, pain and sin in my heart I want to be on my knees before God in the blink of an eye, faster than I could ever drive to the nearest MedExpress or ER.
Mark 2:17 recounts the words of Jesus when He said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." That is me. I am that sick, ill sinner who is in desperate need of the touch of Jesus Christ, the Mighty Physician. He has the power to take away the destruction that I have brought on myself by my sin. I have caused aches and pains to enter my life by living removed from His care. I have disregarded His prescriptions for upright and healthy living, trading them for corruption and worldly temptations.
But God hasn't dropped me as His patient. No matter how many times I don't follow His orders or forget to take His medicine, He is ready and willing to have another appointment with this wayward child. He is always willing to remove the sin from my life and do His cleansing work on my heart.
The question is, will I run into His care?
Four billion prescription drugs can't fix the sickness of the soul that plagues every American and every human that walks this earth. There isn't a pill, injection or surgery that can solve our spiritual illness. True health and wellness is only found in Jesus Christ. When we come to Him, entrusting our very beings into His care, He will tend to us and heal us with His love and mercy. By repenting of our sins and laying ourselves at the foot of His cross, Jesus can do the work of healing our brokenness and restoring us to perfect health.
God alone restores the souls of His dear children through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. By His sacrifice we are made clean, new and abounding in spiritual health.

No comments:

Post a Comment