Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"BIG" Salad - Summer Style

I'm a Seinfeld junkie. I've seen every episode too many times to count. And if I could count them I wouldn't admit it anyway - too embarrassing. You would wonder what else I do with my life...or better yet if I have a life! My defense is that Seinfeld has been around a long time, giving me many years of viewing pleasure, which adds up to a lot of laughs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
If you know Seinfeld, or are a junkie yourself, you know about "the big salad." Elaine loves it. George bought her one once. She didn't give him credit. It was another half an hour that won't sound funny if I try to explain it but is truly hilarious, trust me.
This is my ode to the Big Salad with a summer twist.

The "Big" Salad - Summer Style

Mix of greens - I used spinach, arugula, and field greens 
Chopped red onion
Sliced yellow summer squash and zucchini
Large tomato (local summer tomatoes can't be beat!)
Thinly sliced scallions
1/2 cup shredded chicken (I used poached chicken that I had prepared earlier in the day.)
Cubbed sweet potato - about 1/2 cup or a small sweet potato
Paprika
Garlic powder
Lemon
S&P to taste
Olive oil
Apple cider vinegar

1) Heat grill to medium-high heat.
2) Get your base of the salad prepared - mix greens, onion, squash, zucchini and tomato
3) Choose a small skillet and heat on grill (I used cast iron - I like the camp fire taste it gives food). Add olive oil. Once the skillet is hot add the sweet potato chunks. Allow to brown a few minutes before flipping, closing the grill in the meantime.
4) After about five minutes add spices and scallions.
5) Continue to look for about 3 to 5 minutes. Check on the sweet potatoes, if they appear to be really dry add about a 1/4 cup water. This will help them cook through without drying out on the outside. You can then keep cooking them until they are easily pierced with a fork but not mush (about 3 to 5 minutes longer).
6) While the sweet potato cooks add dressing to salad - I made a mix of ACV, pepper, olive oil and lemon. Top salad with shredded chicken. Remove sweet potatoes and add to salad.
7) Last, but certainly not least, turn on some Seinfeld. That is a must!






No comments:

Post a Comment