Friday, December 5, 2014

The story of my life

"I just want to know how the story ends."
Have you ever read a book, watched a movie or heard a story and as the plot drags on, thought to yourself, "Just tell me how it ends! Assure me that everything turns out alright in the end!" The anticipation of how there will ever be resolution is so great that we want to jump right over the climax and the turning point so we can get to the happily ever after.
Unfortunately, stuck in the seat of a movie theater we have no control over the projector. We can't skip over scenes or fast forward to the resolution of the character's dilemma. When we read a book we'll miss the whole point of the story and key elements of the plot if we skip over chapters. The ending won't mean anything to us if we don't take the time to see how the author of the story arrived at a harmonious ending to a tumultuous journey.
In life the same dilemma often presents itself. We want to know the ending of our story without having to sit through the previews, the dull scenes and the "edge of your seat" moments. We don't want to have to read every line of every chapter. We want the ending. We want to know that everything will turn out okay in the end.
All the while there is an Author who has written a compelling story with clever twists and turns, shocking revelations and surprises along the way and more than anything He wants our full attention throughout every scene and every turn of the page. While we are trying to skip ahead He is trying to pull us back to the place where we left off so that we don't miss a moment of the story He has so carefully imagined and penned especially for us. This story He has written is written for us in His hand, with His blood.
There are days I am tempted to want to jump over chapters of God's story for my life. The pages full of sadness and struggle leave me worried that maybe the story won't have a happy ending. And then I turn the page and see that God is the master of the unexpected. He can take the story in a direction I never saw coming. It is a joy and a thrill for Him to surprise His readers.
On days when I am tired of reading every line and ready to skip scenes God reminds me that the whole story is worthy of my attention because every syllable was written especially for me. By jumping to another page I'm missing the beauty of the story in its entirety. In the end I won't be able to appreciate what God brought forth in the final chapter if I didn't see the struggle and miracles it took to bring the story to its fortunate end.
Today God is writing my ending and taking me on a journey to my happily ever after. The plot He penned just for me is being acted out before my very eyes. God is begging me to never skip ahead; never press fast forward lest I miss the greatness of what the greatest Author of all times has recorded just for me. This is the story of my life and I'm going to read every line, watch every scene and love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment